Tuesday, September 29, 2009

From, 'A Treasury of Chinese Poems: Tang Dynasty (AD 618-907)

(trans. Lee Meeng Kim)

Peach Blossoms Creek

The Bridge Beyond
Faint and Hazy as if
Flying towards the sky.
On the west side of the cliff
I ask a fisherman the way
To the ripping stream where
Peach blossoms fall all day
And which side of the river
Is the Hermit's cave.

Zhang Xu, c. 711.


Bid Farewell to Xin Jian at Lotus Pavillion

In cold rains,
I followed the river's course
And entered the city at night,
I saw you off at dawn
So sad was I of your departure
Even Chy Mountain seemed forlorn,
Should my folk ask you about me,
Pray give them this message
of mine,
'Like ice in a jade vessel,
My heart has remained
Ever so pure and sublime.

Wang Chung Ling (698-757)


Spring Palace Song

What am I waiting for?
Day after day
I come home alone.

I yearn for a better place to stay.

But fear you won't find my place.

Wonder who can really help me.

Bosom friends are hard to come by

And I am fond of solitide.

May as well go home
And close my garden gate
behind me.

Meng Ho Ran (689-740)

No comments:

Post a Comment